Travel Guide

The Complete Guide to the D-4-1 Korean Language Student Visa in South Korea

December 18, 2023

The D-4-1 Visa, often referred to as the Korean Language Trainee Visa, is a pathway for foreign nationals to study Korean language in South Korea. This guide will explore the D-4-1 Visa, highlighting its purpose, eligibility, application process, and other key details.

I. What is the D-4-1 Visa?

The D-4-1 Visa is designed for those intending to enroll in Korean language courses at universities in South Korea. It is especially suitable for courses ranging from 6 months to 2 years. This visa is exclusively sponsored by Korean universities and not by private language schools.

II. Who is Eligible for the D-4-1 Visa?

Eligibility for the D-4-1 Visa is extended to individuals who have completed high school or equivalent and plan to study Korean at a recognized language institution in South Korea.

III. Duration of Visa and Entry Specifications

The D-4-1 Visa is usually issued for the duration of the language course, typically 6 months to 2 years. It must be stamped upon arrival in Korea and is valid only for the period of study. Applicants have 90 days to enter Korea from the visa issuance date.

IV. Required Documents

  1. Visa Application Form (Form No. 17), passport, recent photo, and fee.
  2. Copy of the Business Registration Certificate of the education institute.
  3. Standard Acceptance Letter from the university or an invitation letter for scholarship students.
  4. Certificate of enrollment or proof of highest education level.
  5. Original financial statement documents (e.g., bank statements, scholarship receipts).
  6. Training Plan, including lecture schedules and details about training facilities.

V. Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for the D-4-1 Visa for short-term language courses?

For courses shorter than 90 days, a C-3-1 visa is more appropriate.

Can I work part-time on a D-4-1 Visa?

Yes, after the first 6 months, under certain conditions. Learn more here.

Can I apply for a D-4-1 Visa for only one semester and then decide if I want to continue?

Yes, students can enter on a tourist visa (C-3-1) and later change to a D-4-1 Visa upon deciding to continue their studies. This requires proof of enrollment for the subsequent semester.

Is the 'Standard Admission Letter' required for all D-4-1 Visa applicants?

Yes, it is issued to students who register for at least two semesters (6 months).

Are there any specific procedures for Chinese students applying for a D-4 Visa?

The application process for Chinese students is similar to the general procedure for the D-4-1 Visa.

What documents are required for changing visa status to D-4-1 while already in South Korea?

Required documents include the application form, passport, foreign registration card (if applicable), photo, fee, a copy of the educational institution's business registration, Standard Admission Letter, financial proof, proof of enrollment or highest educational certificate, training plan, and health insurance covering the stay period.You can check your eligibility for other visas here.

Are there specific enrollment periods for language courses?

Yes, terms usually start in March, June, September, and December.

What happens if I stop attending the language course?

The student visa will be canceled if you stop attending the course.

The D-4-1 Visa offers an excellent opportunity for individuals to deepen their understanding of the Korean language and culture. Applicants should be mindful of the visa's requirements and restrictions to ensure a successful and enriching educational experience in South Korea.

At Shuttle Delivery, we pride ourselves on being the go-to food delivery app for foreigners residing and exploring South Korea. With the convenience of PayPal payment options and our unique nationwide concierge service, we ensure seamless ordering experiences everywhere you go. Plus, with our next-day postal delivery on groceries and a wide range of home essentials, we're dedicated to making life convenient for our customers every step of the way.